Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Tibet Traveling Personal Checklists
Visiting Tibet requires proper preparations. There are many things you must pack before you fly to Tibet. And these things depend upon the places you are going to visit in Tibet and activities you are planning to do. Upon various factors let’s categorize the materials and things you will need in Tibet in to 4 categories. These categories are based on your necessities while visiting Tibet.
- Tibet Travel Necessities: these are the things you shouldn’t miss to pack before you head for the airport. Passport, visa, flight tickets, money, credit card, travel plan, camera, film, batteries, toiletries, cosmetics, knife, watch, day bag-pack, big travel bags (soft luggage), water bottle, journal, reading book, writing materials, binoculars, family pictures and snack foods.
- Tibet Travel Medicine: First few days in Tibet will be a bit tough for you. You body will take time to get acclimatized in the Tibetan altitude and its weather. You are suggested to pack following medicines before you start your Tibetan adventure. Colds, insomnia and digestive disorders are common. In addition to the normal medications for traveling, like the Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Antibiotics, cold and flu tablets, throat lozenges, nasal decongestant and vitamins etc, it is advisable to take anti-altitude sickness drugs to cope with oxygen deficiency.
- Tibet Travel Sun-proof Items: As you already know Tibet lies is a very high altitude. Places in high altitude have thin air that are neither capable of blocking the intense sunlight nor capturing the warmth of sunlight. The sunlight in Lhasa is so intense that the city is called Sunlight City. To protect your eyes and skin, don\'t forget to pack your sunscreen, sunglasses or dark glasses and lip creams and sun block.
- Tibet Travel Clothing: Tibet has a crazy temperature fluctuation. You will be amazed by how the temperature rises in sunlight and how fast the temperature falls in the shade and in the nights. Due to its location in the high altitude, thin Tibetan air can neither block the intense sunlight nor hold the warmth of sunlight. Even summer has chilly and cold wind so you are urged to be prepared for that. You consider the following list of clothes to keep yourself warm in Tibetan climate:
- Sleeping bags ( most of the hotels are very basic standards except Lhasa and blanket may not that clean so better to have your own sleeping bag and it is really necessary for MT Kailass tour) Down Jacket or Gore Tex Jacket, wool or wool mix sweater with a high neck, wool or fible-pile ski-style cap or balaclava, wool, pile, or polypylene mittens or gloves, scarf, several bandanna or handkerchief, four or five pairs of Cotton underwear, at least three pairs walking socks, a long-sleeve shirt made of wool, flannel, or chamois, or a track-suit top, a long-sleeve stay-pree cotton shirt for warmer temperatures, two or three T-shirts, one pair of loose-fitting wool pants, wool knickers, or fiber-pile pants, and one pair of light-weight cotton pants, cold weather trekking trousers, two pairs of trekking boots.
Note: because of the rapidly rising and falling temperature, it will be easier for you if you carry layered clothes, instead of bulky and thick clothes.