Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Makalu Base Camp Trekking
This Makalu Base Camp trek takes up deep into the eastern Himalayas, providing some of Nepal's most unseen and amazing scenery.
From Tumlingtar by walking north, up the Arun river, Sedwa and Num, crossing Shipton La (4127m) into upper Barun Khola valley for a close look at Makalu(8475 m) and chamlang (7290 m). The trek to Makalu base camp visits one of the most remote and unfrequented areas of Nepal. The Barun Valley is part of huge international protected area under an agreement between China and Nepal. The Makalu Barun National Park was established in 1992 as Nepal’s eight National Parks.
The park of 2330sq.km. is bordered by the Arun River in the east and the Sagarmatha National Park in the west. Barun Valley is a sanctuary for wild animals such as wolves, lynx, fox and the elusive snow leopard. Our descent into the pine and rhododendron forest from the Barun Valley takes us past the lower Barun Glacier and into the Makalu basin and to Tumlingtar to catch the flight back to Kathmandu.
One of the demanding, and an outstanding trek in eastern Nepal, Trekking over high passes to the remote eastern valleys, Scenic Flight to Tumlingtar, Close-up views of the world’s highest mountain, Visit Arun Valley, Makalu Base Camp, Upper Varun valley, Makalu-Barun National Park, Continue beyond the Makalu Base Camp crossing 3 high passes.
Trek Name :Makalu Base Camp Trek
Trek Duration:30 Days
Best Season:February - June, September - November are the best months among others. July and August are okay for trekking. However, the visibility is likely to disturbed due to rain.
Trek Grade :Strenuous
Accommodation: Tented Camp
Group Size:Min.1 to Max 18 persons in a group
Min. altitude: 1050m
Mode of Travel:Flight: Kathmandu to Tumlingtar
Price:For the most up-to-date and competitive price, please Contact Us
Makalu Base Camp Trek itinerary details:
Day 1: Arrival Kathmandu, transfer to hotel
Day 2: Sight-seeing of Kathmandu: Leave for full day sightseeing in Kathmandu valley includes the Hindu temple complex at Pashupatinath (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) & the biggest Buddhist Stupa at Boudhanath. Also visit Monkey Temple the Swyambhunath (2000 years old temple) and visit Patan city of fine arts. Back to hotel and stay.
Day 3: Kathmandu – Khandbari - After flying out Tumlingtar we walk north to Khandbari. The trail crosses a plateau (45 minutes) then climbs gradually for about 3 hours. We camp above the village on large grassy fields.
Day 4: Khandbari – Num - We walk through many small picturesque villages; occasionally on steep trails for 3 hours to reach Goure Chichira is 3 hours further. We need to work still uphill.
Day 5: Chichira - Num - The morning starts with wonderful views of Makalu and the surrounding snowcapped peaks. The path an ancient trading route, after a few up and down, descends through forest to Num.
Day 6: Num – Navagoan - We descend steeply to the suspension bridge across the Arun River. It is a 2 hour ascent to Kerabari. We then continue upwards for Naragoan (Shidda).
Day 7: Navagoan – Tashigoan - Ascending through forest we pass the picturesque Sherpa village of Tashigoan, the last village en route to the camp.
Day 8: Tashigoan – Khonpma - We climb out of the forest to the grazing area of Khonpma, we have a packed lunch because of the lack of the water in between Tashigoan and Khonpma.
Day 9: Khonpma – Mumbuk - Above Khonpma we occasionally walk on snow (depending on the season) to Changse Danda. Two hours further on is Magar Chanse Danda. Makalu and the surrounding Himalaya are spectacular. We camp just over the Barun pass.
Day 10: Mumbuk – Nehekharka - Starting early we take about an hour to cross some landslides. 4 hours further on over the higher plains is Nahekharka
Day 11: Nehekharka – Mera - After crossing the wooden bridge over the Barun River we trek beside the river on grasslands to Mera. The mountain peaks here are inspiring overnight camp.
Day 12: Mera, Makalu Base Camp - We pass a small glacier with spectacular alpine scenery before reaching the base camp.
Day 13: Explore around.
Day 14: Khongma, camp
Day 15: Seduwa, camp
Day 16: Chichela, camp
Day 17: Tumlingtar, camp
Day 18: Flight : Tumlingtar - Ktm , hotel
Day 19: Ktm free day, hotel
Day 20: Final departure, transfer to airport
Price For The Trip:
The total cost for the trek or tour you decide you want to do will depend on several different factors. The type of accommodation you prefer in Kathmandu and/or Pokhara will make a difference to the overall cost (budget to 5 star accommodation) The mode of transport you prefer will also affect the cost of your package, for example prices vary greatly between flying versus private car/van, tourist or local buses. The number of guides and/or porters required will also affect the total cost of your trek. For these reasons the same trek/tour can vary in price quite substantially.
Please mail us for up to date prices for the above itinerary
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private car/van/bus
- 2 nights hotel in Kathmandu B / B
- Guided Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing tour with English speaking Tour guide
- All meals during trekking 3 meals a day (Breakfasts, Lunches and Dinners, Tea and coffee)
- Camping equipments (Two men tents, dining tents, kitchen tents, toilet tents, sleeping bags, mattresses, down jackets),
- English Speaking trekking guide, a cook, cooks helper, porter/s, and other helping staffs.
- Food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment, sleeping tents and medicine for all trekking staff.
- Special Trekking Permit for Makalu Base Camp.
- New TIMS permit (Trekking Information Management System) Card
- All local Transpiration from and to Kathmandu by private car/van/bus
- Meals whilst in Kathmandu
- Airfare domestic / international
- Nepal entry visa fee US$ 25 (duration 15 days from date of issue), US$ 40 (duration 30 days from the date of issue) you may easily issue the visa upon your arrival at Tribhuwan International Airport Kathmandu. You will require 2 passport size photos.
- Airport tax domestic / international
- Mineral water, Alcoholic drinks.
- Personal trekking Equipment.
- Personal travel and medical insurance
- Tips for trekking staff (Tipping is expected).
- Sightseeing/Monument entrance fees.
- Any kind of personal expense / Helicopter rescue
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section
Private Trip Departure everyday upon your request. But if you would like to join one of our Groups please see below our fixed group departure dates as per your requirement.Fixed Departure Trek 2012