Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
Gosainkunda Festival Trekking
This trek is specially designed for Hindu Devotees however everyone who has an interest of Nepal festivals can do this trek. This trek is starting normally end of August to First week of September.
On the festival of Janai Purnima the most pious Hindu devotees who have time and can afford it, make a pilgrimage to Gosainkund, the mountain lakes which are regarded as sacred to Lord Shiva. A dip in the lakes on this day is believed to add considerably to a devotee’s stock of merit.
The scene of Gosainkund, located at elevation 4360 meters, north of Kathmandu and just south of the Langtang range, is quite exciting, and is well worth the climb (often through rain) up to the site. Traditional faith healers called jhankris, dressed in belted white robes and crowned with porcupine quills and peacock feathers, perform ritual dances to throbbing drumbeats night and day. Thousands of people from all over Nepal and parts of India gather in boisterous song, dance and earnest devotions, camping and cooking in make-shift shelters. Visitors are welcome. In the morning the lake’s edge turns red with vermillion powder and the air is impregnated with sweet incense. Devotees dip in the freezing waters and change their sacred threads
Visit tranquil holy Gosaikunda Lake , Meet Traditional faith healers called jhankris, dressed in belted white robes and crowned with porcupine quills and peacock feathers, Thousands of people gather in boisterous song, dance and earnest devotions, Spectacular snow-clad high Mountain View of Langtang Himalayan Range including Langtang Ri , Langtang Lirung, Ganesh Himal and many other mountains, Experience the Tamang culture
Trek Name: Gosainkunda Festival Trekking
Trek Duration: 10 Days
Best Season:February, March, April, May, June, September, October, November are The best seasons for this trek is end of August to First week of September on the festival of Janai Purnima
Accommodation: Tea House
Group Size: Min.1 to Max 10 persons in a group
Min. altitude: 1950 m
Max altitude: 4100 m
Mode of Travel:Drive: Land cruiser/Van/Bus to Dhunche
Price: For the most up-to-date and competitive price, please Contact Us
Gosainkunda Festival Trekking Itinerary:
Days 1:Meet at Kathmandu Airport and transfer to hotel
Day 2:Sight-seeing of Kathmandu: Full day’s sightseeing in Kathmandu valley includes the Hindu temple complex at Pashupatinath (a UNESCO World Heritage Site) & the biggest Buddhist Stupa at Boudhanath. Also visit Monkey Temple the Swyambhunath (2000 years old temple) and visit Patan city of fine arts. Return to the hotel
Day 3:Drive Kathmandu to Dhunche: which will take some 7 hrs by bus or can drive by the Landcruiser. Overnight stay at the Hotel in Dhunche from where you will have a majestic mountains view including Ganesh Himal, few peaks of Langtang range and the Tibetan peaks.
Day 4:Dhunche to Chandanbari: You will climb all the way in the jungle. Chandanbari is small town with few lodges and Monastery. The Cheese factory here is the oldest in Nepal.
Day 5:Chandanbari to Gosainkunda passing Lauribinayak: After passing the lauribinayak the trail becomes much narrow & misty as well as change in vegetation too as the green vegetation becomes much deserted & rocky. From lauri Binayak takes about 3 hours to reach to Gosainkunda from the top you will see the beautiful Himalayan Ranges.
Day 6:celebrate a Festival. Take a holy bath in a Gosainkunda lake.
Day 7:Gosainkunda Lake back to Chandanbari.
Day 8:Trek back to Dhunche.
Day 9:Drive back to Kathmandu.
Day 10:Kathmandu free day, evening culture show with Nepali dinner, hotel
Day 11:Final departure: transfer to airport
Price For The Trip:
The total cost for the trek or tour you decide you want to do will depend on several different factors. The type of accommodation you prefer in Kathmandu and/or Pokhara will make a difference to the overall cost (budget to 5 star accommodation) The mode of transport you prefer will also affect the cost of your package, for example prices vary greatly between flying versus private car/van, tourist or local buses. The number of guides and/or porters required will also affect the total cost of your trek. For these reasons the same trek/tour can vary in price quite substantially.
Please mail us for up to date prices for the above itinerary
- Airport / Hotel / Airport pick up & drop by private car/van
- 4 night’s accommodation in Kathmandu on a twin sharing bed and breakfast basis.
Kathmandu Valley Sightseeing tour with English speaking Tour guide, and transport by private car / van.
- Langtang National park Trekking Permit.
TIMS (Trekking Information Management System) Card for the Langtang Trekking .
- Full board meals during the trekking (meals are choices from Menu) Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner).
Twin sharing Lodges, Guesthouses accommodation during the trekking
- Seasonal fresh fruits like orange, apple, banana and grape etc
- An Experienced & Professional Government license holder Trekking guide trained in wilderness first aid.
- Above The Himalaya’s duffle bag if necessary.
- Group medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- Trekking porter carry all personal gear and group equipment( 1 porter for 2 person basis)
- Food, accommodation, salary, local tax, all trekking equipment and medicine for all trekking staff.
- Proper Insurance for all trekking staff including porter.
- All necessary paper works, office Service charge and all Government Taxes
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and trip dossiers
- Above the Himalaya Special Gifts (T shirt, Pashmina shawl, Trekking certificates and others)
- Welcome/Fare well Nepali Culture Dinner in Kathmandu
- All local transportation to and from the starting and ending points of the trek by local buses ( for bigger group start from 5 person land cruiser will be provided, for 1 to 4 person local buses and land cruiser can be provided by adding extra cost)
- Meals in Kathmandu Aprox US $ 10- US$ 12 per day
- Nepal entry Visa Fee (You can obtain a visa easily upon your arrival at Nepal ’s Airport in Kathmandu )
- International/Domestic Airfare and Airport Tax, sightseeing entry fee
- Any kind of Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks, hot water
- Dessert, chocolates, personal shopping, laundry, phone call, internet, Camera battery charging.
- Personal trekking Equipment, travel and medical insurance & helicopter rescue, personal expences.
- Tips and Gratitude (Tipping is expected, but it is not mandatory)
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section
Private Trip Departure everyday upon your request. But if you would like to join one of our Groups please see below our fixed group departure dates as per your requirement.Fixed Departure Trek 2012